DoubleTalkWireless Forum Index DoubleTalkWireless

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frequently Asked Questions(about the book)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DoubleTalkWireless Forum Index -> ACCESS CODES/Quick Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iheartpngwnz
Explainer Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Frequently Asked Questions(about the book) Reply with quote

Is this a true story?
no. you bought this in the fiction section, that means it's fiction.

I don't get it! What is all this? Why is this more than just a book?
Cathy's book is an alternate reality game (ARG). This is a type of game (or book) that overlaps the game world with reality, by utilizing real world media, in order to deliver an interactive narrative experience to the players -- a kind of surrealism.
ARGs are typified by involving the players with the story and its characters, by encouraging them to explore the story, solve plot based challenges, and interact with game characters. ARGs can be delivered via websites, email, telephones, or any other means of communication which is readily available to the players.

So this is an ARG. great! now what?
    -call all the numbers
    they take you to a characters voicemail. from here you can listen to all the messeges a character has recieved. this shows scenes that happen ouside the book and provide a sense of the characters relationships with eachother
    -visit the websites
    you found this one, but there are more out there. they also enhance the reading experience. one in particular is of great importance, so look for it.
    -look at the evidence
    the evidence was given for a reason. it will help you the most! it provides you with the phone numbers, character information, and most of the plot. don't blow that valuable resorce off
    -do some outside research
    not everything is straight forward. a lot of the doodles provide hidden clues. if you think you found something cool or notice something out of the ordinary look it up. Wikipedia is an excellent source.

phone numbers? what are the charges?
the phone numbers cost the regular long distance charges. you can either pay the fee or call them for free by using the check messeges accessed from the homepage.

what is [insert character name here]'s information
all this has already been listed in the reference stickies
go to this post for hints on how to find it. go to this post for straight answers

when i dial the phone numbers it doesn't work. whats wrong?
when i enter the four digit code it doesn't work. whats wrong?

are you calling from the US? do you have the right number?
if the answer is yes, then it should work for you. ones and astixes are not necessary. if you are continuing to have problems, use the Check Messeges function accessed from the home page. that only works for in-game numbers and it is guaranteed you will not call someone else.

i finished the book. isn't it over now?
no, it is not over. yes, the book did end, but it is not over, there are still mysteries that need to be solved. these include:
  1. where cathy is= after the book ended, cathy ran away and is currently missing. this is one reason why cathy left the book behind, so emma could figure out where she went. we do not know where she is and are not possitive why she left.
  2. who is and immortal= we know that there are the official Eight Immortals, and potentially more, but we do not yet know who all of them are or the exact number of them
  3. what is going to happen to all the immortals= in the book, there was a theme that a period of great conflict, or a war, was about to happen. we do not yet know what this really means, only that it is going to happen.
  4. is cathy's dad really dead/ 5) why did victor test cathy for the immortality gene=these two events are extremely fishy and possibly coincide.

all these mysteries need to be solved. the answers are thought to be found in the second book. untill the next book comes out, they are being discussed in the spectulations and discussion section. i would suggest going there and looking at ALL the topics for further information.

so now i'm a member of DTW. how do i make those black linea appear over stuff?
thos "little black lines" are spoilers. they are a bbc code. you can make them by following this template:
Code:
[spoiler]Spoilerish text[/spoiler]

this will allow you to place a spoiler tag over text that will reveal the text when you mouse over it. Like this. Please use this if you're talking about plot twists for movies or books that other people on the forum are reading and may not want spoiled. you can find more fun bbc codes at http://www.doubletalkwireless.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

Hold the phone! when did that happen?
you can look this over at the timeline here http://www.doubletalkwireless.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=223

who are all these people
Cathy: the main charector. a young artistic girl who got caught up in something bigger than she expected all because her boyfreind broke up with her.
Emma: the entrepenuer best friend who helps cathy through out the story. she is currently the only person who knows where cathy is.
Victor: the short answer is he's cathy's ex-boyfriend. the long answer is that he is an immortal who has lived since 1884. he has married penny sheets (child=lucky) and gissel giskard(child bianca). his many identities consist of victor chan, nathan chan, evan chan, and james wu. he has been a soldier in wwi and wwii and has revealed that he has killed before and has a pilot's license
Tsao: another immortal. he is the elegant, tasteful and restrained one, and is persuing cathy. he has been posing as vistors uncle in the book.
Bianca: the child of victor and gissel
Lucky: the child of victor and penny
Carla: the partner of victor who share a workspace with him at Intrepid Biotech. she found out about the immortality gene and was planning to blackmail the immortals, but ended up murdered
David parkison: the clerk who pronounced cathy's dad dead. in the book there is a hand written page that says the two were friends. he was also the man who signed victors birth certificate and is mentioned in victors day planner. he is though to be one of the immortals, whose job it is to be the fake medical professional and provide everyone with new fake identities
Ancestor Lu: the leader if the immortals.He is angry with something and is starting an war between the immortals
Jun: Lu's daughter, another immortal
Little Sister:another Lu's other daughter, a nonimmortal
Chang Kuo Lao: another immortal, the one who sent cathy the pakage mentioned at the end of the book and on the FDex sheet. also the creator of the lucky fortuens website
Carol: random, officially unimportant person who works for beinggirl publishing cathy's PMS comic
i know i'm forgetting some charectors. pm me with more of them to add

EDIT: Embedded links, stickied. Thanks! --admin
someday i'll find you mooooooning
at your front do-oor
AT MY FRONY DO-OOR

Last edited by iheartpngwnz on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:43 am; edited 9 times in total
CathysTwinArtGirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re:Quick Reference Reply with quote

This was helpful. I didn't know what ARG standed for. Thankz for the clarfication. At one point i got confused with some of the characters. Thanks for telling me about them.
Jessica
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome resource. Very Happy

Stickied!
iheartpngwnz
Explainer Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i posted one of these i the help section too, so more poeple would see it!...incase you wanted to stickie that too
someday i'll find you mooooooning
at your front do-oor
AT MY FRONY DO-OOR
smartgrrl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that helped a lot Very Happy !
Massie101
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

HOWDY YALL! i L ikE uR IdeAS DID U FIGURE THEM OUT OR DID YA CHEAT?
CathysTwinArtGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Massie101 wrote:
HOWDY YALL! i L ikE uR IdeAS DID U FIGURE THEM OUT OR DID YA CHEAT?

Why are you yelling???
I don't think you can cheat with ARG.
RainydayDarling

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That is Extremely hard to read. Please try to spell things correctly, and don't use all caps. It's distracting.
Soras_Song

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very helpful. ^^ The spoiler blocks were also thoughtful. Thanks oodles!
pandabear
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was really helpful thank you soo much Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CathysTwinArtGirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Newbies.
Remember to use the search function before you post.
Most likely there is already a post about your topic
Newbies should start out by reading all stickes.
Stickes means important info.
Once you read all stickes you will understand how DoubleTalkWireless Message Boards work.
If I were you read all stickes than post.
If you need anymore info or have a question feel free to PM (private message) me.
Thanks,
Tinsley.
pandabear
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know that really did clear up a lot of things
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GOTHGURRL <was here...
Immortal

Location: the little place beside Ireland.....Northern Ireland!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: help Reply with quote

hey, i live in da UK
(in ireland)
and every time i ring the numbers it doesnt work
i tried ma mobile and the landline, bt nothing works
is this because i come frm da UK, and the numbers only work if ur frm da USA??
plz reply, as i am very confused!!!

*he stood ther like a messenger
wings outspread
a
primitive black angel
rich with revelation
just for me...............*
Datango
Pillar of the Community

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: help Reply with quote

GOTHGURRL <was here... wrote:
hey, i live in da UK
(in ireland)
and every time i ring the numbers it doesnt work
i tried ma mobile and the landline, bt nothing works
is this because i come frm da UK, and the numbers only work if ur frm da USA??
.*

No, they will work from the UK if you use the international dialling and country codes, but you will be charged for a long distance call.

You can obtain the messages if you input the numbers on the DTW 'Check Messages' page which is accessible from the DTW home page and is FREE

HTH
GOTHGURRL <was here...
Immortal

Location: the little place beside Ireland.....Northern Ireland!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx! o and yes, i didnt actually phone them, i just read the and listened to the messages here...............

but thanx for your help anyway! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DoubleTalkWireless Forum Index -> ACCESS CODES/Quick Reference All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: